Point Cook Volunteering
According to figures from Wyndham City Council, 12% of the population in PointCook does some type of volunteering, and this number is increasing. Although as a resident of Point Cook Village you will have plenty of opportunities to get involved with community and volunteering activities through the village, many residents also choose to participate in the wider community as a volunteer.
What are the benefits of volunteering?
Volunteering is a rewarding activity no matter what age you are. As a retiree, volunteering can give you a chance to give something back to the community and stay active. When you have spent your life working and building up your skills, volunteering can provide a way to keep using those skills even after you have finished paid work. Volunteering is also a great way to meet people and get involved in the community, broaden your horizons and learn new skills. Whatever your skills and interests, there is probably a volunteer position in the area that will suit you. Active retirees might enjoy doing conservation work or caring for rescued wildlife. Other things you can do include teaching English to immigrants and performing administration work for local charities and not-for-profit agencies.
What volunteer activities are available in Point Cook?
There are a variety of different volunteer activities in Point Cook and the surrounding area, including:
- Teaching English as a foreign language to students and recent immigrants in the area.
- Helping out at local sporting and charity fundraising events in the area.
- Working at the RAAF museum in Point Cook, including cleaning and restoration of aircraft, looking after visitors and conducting guided tours of the museum.
- Conservation work at Point Cook Coastal Park. Duties include weeding, litter removal and planting.
- Caring for rescued wildlife at the Wildlife of Werribee (WOW) rescue centre.
- Visiting residents at Manor Court Aged Care centre to spend time chatting to them, or helping out with structured activities.
Where can I find volunteer opportunities in Point Cook?
There are a number of different ways to find volunteer jobs in the Point Cook area. Looking online can be a great way to find volunteer work. If there is a particular organisation or charity you would like to work for, you can always approach them directly and see what they have available. Here are a few websites that might be useful for volunteers looking to help out in the Point Cook area. • The Wyndham City Council website has a directory of volunteer opportunities in the area. You can search for the specific area you are interested in or contact the volunteer co-ordinator directly by phone or email to see what is available. • The Environmental Jobs Network has a number of different conservation opportunities including at Point Cook Coastal Park.