Easter eggs can be fatal to dogs: RSPCA

Easter eggs can be fatal to dogs: RSPCA

Shae McDonald | AAP | April 13 2017 at 3:30 AM

Families across Queensland have been warned not to feed their dogs chocolate over Easter because it could kill them.

RSPCA Queensland senior veterinarian Anne Chester said just 50g of the sweet treat could be fatal.

"The problem is that the systems of cats and dogs cannot tolerate theobromine, one of the key ingredients of chocolate," she said in a statement on Wednesday.

If ingested by pets, it could cause vomiting, diarrhoea and hyperactivity, which could then be followed by depression, coma, seizures and death.

Dr Chester said onion could also be toxic to pets, while fatty foods in barbecue leftovers could lead to pancreatitis.

"Cooked bones can also cause major problems. They're brittle and the sharp slivers can either lodge in the throat or pierce the stomach lining," she said.

"We want everyone to enjoy the Easter break, but please think carefully before you feed your pets' food designed for humans - especially chocolate."

Image: contentservices.melbourne

If you are interested in exploring the possibility of a move to a modern retirement village around Melbourne. Booking a tour at one of the RCA Villages around Melbourne can be a great place to start. Visit the website of the village in the region you would like to visit for contact details.

South East Melbourne



Mornington Peninsula




Western Melbourne



Ask about RCA Villages no deposit reservation process on new villas.

Drug free solutions to pain management

Drug free solutions to pain management

Woollies moves to round-number pricing

Woollies moves to round-number pricing